British Canoeing Awards
What can you learn?
There are a series of awards that we can train you for and test you on. These are part of the BC (British Canoeing) award scheme.
They go up in stages as you gain experience.
- Experience your first session on the water; learning useful skills for an enjoyable paddling experience. It aims to provide you with the basic knowledge to enable you to safely get in and out of your boat, make it move and return to your start point. This is your first step into the world of paddling, ensuring you feel safe, confident and ready to progress to the Discover Award. >more
- Your Discover Award allows you to develop your decision making and practical skills for a fun and safe time on the water, taking you on the next steps towards becoming a proficient and independent paddler. Learn how to choose and effectively use equipment, whilst developing an understanding of the factors which affect your paddling; giving you the confidence to progress to making your own choices with the Explore Award. >more
- Your Explore Award gives you ownership; allowing you to choose where you move next in the world of paddlesport. Working with a coach you will be able to develop a programme that suits what you need. Learning to make confident choices with this individualised approach. Recognising your ability to independently paddle your chosen craft in a sheltered water environment. >more
Sea Kayak Award
- The Sea Kayak Award is designed for paddlers looking for recognition of their skills for a safe day out on the sea. >more
Foundation Safety and Rescue
- This course provides training on key skills needed to operate safely and deal with common emergencies in a sheltered water environment. These skills then form the foundations for safety and rescue throughout British Canoeing awards. >more
Start - Free
Discover - £10 (£4 to club, £6 to BC)
Explore - £15 (£7 to club, £8 to BC), or if a BC member £13 (£7 to club, £6 to BC)
Sea Kayak Award - £30 (£10 to club, £20 to BC), or if a BC member £20 (£10 to club, £10 to BC)
Foundation Safety and Rescue Test (FSRT) - £10
The above are one off charges. If you miss any of the sessions then you can play catch up and do another assessment, or if you feel that you can pass the assessment, then give it a go. There are no further charges in the event of a failure.
Open the BC Awards page on the BC website.
Learning to coach others
If you love it, you may want to become a coach yourself and help others.
There are a range of coaching awards that you can be helped to gain.
The simplest is a Paddlesport Instructor who works with more experienced coaches to teach in very sheltered waters.
More advanced coaching awards can be undertaken to teach in specialised areas and in more challenging waters.
Open the BC Coaching Awards page on the BC website.